Friday, September 6, 2013

The Tale of Two Sophies

“Mama. Maaawww-MUHHHHH.”

Sleepily, I push the hair from my face and glare angrily at the alarm clock realizing that it isn’t even 7am yet. The previous night I had high hopes that I could make it to at least 8am. I mean, it’s the weekend, right? People should not be mobile before 8am on the weekend – unless, of course, there’s a race to be had.

I began to scoot closer to the side of the bed hoping it was a false -

“MAW-MUH! MAW-MUHHH!”

Nope. Not false. I sit up, swing my feet to the side, and look up to realize the husband was already awake and dressed.

“I got her. Don’t worry about it.”

What kind of madness is this?

I quickly roll back into bed for fear this is a dream. Probably a little too over-enthusiastically I reply with a very generous “Thanks!”

Note to self: The husband deserves good loving – or at the very least a breakfast that includes both bacon and eggs.

I hear them both fumble around to the bathroom, to the kitchen for cereal (Berry Crunch, I’m sure) and settle into the living room. My eyes are closed; however, my ears are not. It’s too late for me, I’m fully awake and now, I’m just fake sleeping in an attempt to trick my body into thinking it’s well rested and won’t be exhausted at 11am from the terror of a nearly three year old.

Ah, parenting at its finest.

I hear the husband ask, “How do you like school? Do you have any friends?”

“I have TWO friends, daddy” she replies.

“Oh yeah, what are their names?”

“Sophie” She says this so matter-of-factly you would think she had said only one friend a moment ago.

“What’s the other friends name?” he prompts.

“Sophie”

“That’s only one friend.”

At this point, I’m staring down the hallway and into the living room – I know where this is going.

“NO. TWO.” She emphatically holds up two fingers to clarify.

“That’s only one.”

“TWO!” her frustration is rolling in like a freight train. It’s at this moment, I decide my body is well-rested enough and I need to come to life before this hits head on.

I roll out of bed, catch the husbands eye and say,

“Identical twins. There’s a set of identical twins at school – one’s name is Sophie, the other Grace. So, technically she’s right – she does have two friends.”

And that, my friends, is the Tale of Two Sophies.

IMG_1918

4 comments:

Kate said...

hahahahahahahaha.
love.
this.

Anonymous said...

Haha! I'm glad you knew what was going on.

Abbey said...

I like yo kid.

The Lady Okie said...

ditto to what Kate said. way to rock a parenting story like a BOSS.