Friday, October 22, 2010

Making Progress

I've found that being pregnant isn't just something for you and your partner only to share. It's often times expected to be something you simply have to share with the world. Strangers in the elevators glancing at ever increasing belly, men leaning into their wives at the grocery stores whispering and nodding in your direction, the laying of hands on the tummy, the judgemental looks as you buy an 18 pack of Bud Light at 9 months pregnant for your husband - is nothing is out of reach for any member of society to comment on when you're pregnant?

I'm not saying it isn't a joyous time and shouting it from the rooftops is ridiculous (when we became pregnant before I was ready to tell anyone Alfred pretty much did just that). I'm just saying that no part of your body is yours once you invest it into carrying a child. Which leads me to one of the most intimate parts of your body and the sharing that's expected.

Dilation.

Really, It's weird when you think about pregnant women telling people how dilated they are. Don't roll your eyes, just stick with me here for a second. You're asking some very, very intimate details of someone's nether regions. I mean, do you ever just go up to a non-pregnant person and ask them how their cervix is doing? 

With that being said, let's get intimate people.

2 weeks ago - I was dilated to a 1.
Last week -  Still a 1, but effaced 50%.
This week - 1 1/2 to a 2, still effaced 50%.

What's that mean - it means I'm slowly but surely making progress to pushing out Lillie Mae on my own come November 8. So, no complaints other than sometimes I need to really learn how to filter the words that come out of my mouth.

Doctor : It seems to be a little looser, so I'd say..
Me: (mumbling) Well, isn't that what every girl just wants to hear.

Sarah, my favorite nurse, finds this incredibly funny.

Doctor: No, I mean you're 1 1/2 to a 2. 
Me: Yeah, I knew what you meant...So we're good?
Doctor: Yep, we'll see you next week.


<END SCENE>

No comments: