Thursday, February 9, 2012

A New (ish) Bookcase

i didn't have a specific type of creation in mind
when making that resolution
just that anything would really suffice
i like making things
it just gets put on the back burner a lot
{like i'm sure it does for a lot of you}
with life - cleaning, work, kids, etc...
but i've been rearranging what's on my front burner
{suck it dirty dishes!!}
and couldn't be happier with my first project of 2012
If you don't get the reference, click here
a small bookcase that my mother-in-law
happily passed along to me
when i asked her if she'd love to donate it
to the good cause of lillie's room
that has done without a bookcase since, well, ever
and to be honest is really quite ridiculous considering she has close to 50 books,
if not more,
{i have a problem, i know}
i had to update it a little bit
Yes, that's a screwdriver in the shape of a duracell battery.
And even yesser, it works in a pinch when you need to open a can of paint.
because the whole magenta look was not working for me
i went for a plain brown 
{that i already had - score!}
and then decided it definitely needed something more
so, after a little thought
i decided my medium of choice would be decoupage
on the shelves and maybe on the outside
if it turned out good - awesome!
if it didn't - well, it's going in a 1 year old's room, 
the chances of it surviving the next few years looking good are nill to none
either way, 
win-win
I ended up using my CriCut to help spice up the sides a little bit.
it's not perfect or fancy
 but i'm very happy with the final product
 even if all the 'storage' still ends up on the ground
{which it does, trust me}
the whole process
{which really took me just a couple of days}
was definitely worth it.
here's to starting and finishing resolutions for 2012!
how are yours going?

3 comments:

Sar said...

YOU HAVE A CRICUT?! CRAFT NIGHT AT TAMARA'S HOUSE!

Tamara said...

Yes! It's the small one that only does like half a sheet of paper, but I love it. Watch the ads because I got mine last year for $79 bucks at Michaels!
As much (and as awesome!) as you are at crafting stuff you should definitely look into getting one!

Sar said...

The small one for $80 is still a steal! I'll be on the lookout. Thanks for being so awesome!