Thursday, May 24, 2012

Turkey Meatloaf


NO! STOP!
Don't leave because I mentioned turkey and meatloaf in one place!
Turkey products can get a bad wrap from ground meat lovers real quick-like {trust me I know, I was one!}, but just stick with me. I promise you - this recipe is worth it. Before I get started, I'd like to give a quick shout-out to my friend Moj {and personal torturer} who gave me the initial recipe, I've tweaked it only slightly for my personal enjoyment. {and hopefully for yours now too!}

Background: I like meat. Actually, it's pretty much safe to say I love it. That's what she said! I am a pure-bred Texan after all.
Well, a few years ago, I lost 30 lbs on Weight Watchers - I'm not on it now, but I definitely recommend this program to anyone who talks about it - and while doing that I was also into eating healthier. I kept hearing about turkey-this, turkey-that, and so I attempted the dreaded Turkey Burgers {yuck!} and Turkey Meatloaf {double-yuck!}. They did not work out. So, I nixed the idea and never really thought about it again.
Until a couple months ago when Moj made some and brought it up to work. I couldn't be rude and say, "Uh, this is CRAP." Especially after all the great pointers and support she's given me with this 'healthy-lifestyle' I've been attempting.
But to my surprise, I really liked it. Turns out, it's all in the making of it. Who knew, right? And if you want to be healthier and want good recipes - ask people who live the life. Not just Google. {Sorry, Google, you're still my number one source of info, I swear!}
I was so worried about it the first time, I made a regular meatloaf too. The husband actually preferred the turkey. I may or may not have yelled at him for a few minutes for making fun of me until he may or may not have convinced me he was serious. {He had 3 servings.}I've made it a few times since then, and each time it gets better {tweak, tweak}- not just for me, but also for my husband!
So, enough about me and my feelings about the bad-wrap turkey meatloaf - try it for yourself and let me know how you like it!

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb Ground Turkey
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats {I'm not exactly sure what 'rolled' is. But you can see what I used in the picture above. Seems right to me.}
    I've also used the pre-packaged oatmeal before too - never the apples & cinnamon flavor, but hey, maybe next time, right?

  •  Chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt {I think this one is very important because it keeps it moist, so don't forget it. Seriously, I think this is the reason why I didn't like my recipes years ago.}
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tsp turmeric {this can kind of give your loaf - haha, loaf...- a yellow tint, no worries though, just imagine it's sunshine}
  • Salt, pepper, seasoned salt, garlic powder, really whatever you want to add to it. 
Instructions:
1.Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Mix all ingredients together. I used a fork to do that. Because I'm classy. But I've also let Lillie help me, she likes 'shaking' the spices and squishing the meat. {She was in bed during this loaf-fest. And the husband was on the couch laughing at me for taking pictures. He doesn't understand the concept of amazing bloggery.}


3. Add any 'secret' ingredients you'd like. I thought about boogers. But well, Cajun spices trumped it.
Amazon hands.
4. Once mixed well, squish in a small pan. I think mine was 6x9. I sprayed some PAM on there too.
5. Put it in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours - or until done. {duh, right?}

Not the most appealing picture, but hey, I'm no photographer.
I'm barely even a cook.
6. Load up your plate with awesome goodies {thanks to the in-laws and Lilz Godparents for all the fresh veggies!} and enjoy!


Let me know how it works out for you, or if you have any recipes you'd like to share - I'm always looking for something new to try - I'd love to hear from you. Find me here.

Happy Eating!

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Hey, this looks so good!

Tamara said...

It is! Just go into with the mentality that it's not ground beef and will taste different {a good different!} and you're golden! If you try it, let me know what you think - good or bad!