Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Stiletto Stampede


If you read my post yesterday, I posted the above picture asking if you could find me. I'm the giant amazon in the hot pink shirt, pink glasses, black shorts and these fantastic shoes.
I told you they were worth it.
I guess, I should really start out with what exactly this is. {paraphrased from their website - http://stilettostampede.org/ }It's a 100 yard dash in heels to help raise breast cancer awareness. It's based in Austin, Texas {keeping it weird!}and proceeds benefit local Susan G. Komen chapters throughout Texas. They also offer rehabilitation & support groups . This was their first outing to Waco and it was fan-fricking-tastic.
The race itself, really isn't a race at all - if you don't want it to be. I know, the thought of running in heels can be terrifying to some, but you can walk it, you can jog it, heck I'm sure if you wanted to somersault through it - that would be fine too. 
They had a few separate heats - first round was survivors. The lady who won was actually standing near us before and after the race, so of course, Lillie hammed it up for her. Second round was strollers. Since my pregnant best friend, Emilie, didn't want to high heel it up {let's face it, she falls down with no shoes on} she pushed Lillie for me. The next heat was the run, so unfortunately we don't have any photos of Emilie and Lilz. And Lauren and I were ready. Game-freaking-on.
Yes, Lauren is still that short in real life. And yes, I'm still an Amazon even without 5 inch heels.
They had a run for men. And these were most definitely manly men. Hair. And fur. And lingerie?
The guy in the pink striped socks actually lost his shoes {they were black and bedazzled!} because it was game on for him.And he didn't even win. I'm pretty sure it's the guy in the white tank top cheesing his little heart out that did. But the guy who takes the cake is the one in the black lace lingerie and blond wig. You can't tell by this picture but he definitely needed a wax appointment. And that made it all the more awesome.
There was a local celebrity heat & kids heat. {Yes, Lillie participated but we'd get 5 feet and everyone would clap for her, so she'd stop and clap at them, and after about 15 feet and with the next heat starting - we were scooting on outta the way.}
And then we had us a Pooch Scooch {cute name, am I right?} And this lady, she received the best costume - wonder why?
Prizes were given out. Survivor stories were told. We even managed to find ourselves on the local news that evening {unfortunately, I can't find a video of it online}. I mean, we were in the background shots, but dude, total celebrities now. If you'd like a 5x7 autographed photo, please send a postage stamped envelope and $20 bucks to...
It's something I can't wait to do again. A great cause, wonderful friends, surrounded by gorgeous high heels and a beautiful day. Seriously, what more could a girl ask for?


*They have 3 upcoming races in Dallas, Houston & Austin if you're interested. And of course, when next years race in Waco comes around you are more than welcome to come run it with me. If you'd like to donate, you can on their website - http://stilettostampede.org .

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Wow! This was simply amazing! Looks like so much fun!

Tamara said...

It was! I can't wait to do it again...I may con myself into buying another pair of shoes for it.
A girl can't have too many heels, ya know? :)

meg @ you're meaghan me crazy! said...

I love everything about this.