Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Noodles

I've mentioned before that we're kind of redneck-y. I have no shame in it. We love the outdoors, we shoot guns, we ride 4 wheelers, we have farmer's tans, we love all things camo and well, if those things classify us as rednecks - we're proud of that fact. We don't have to answer to anyone other than the big man upstairs when the end of the day comes. People are going to pass judgement on us whether we want them to or not. We just try our best to ignore it and live our life how we see fit.

Now, with all that said and done let's get into the meaty part of this post.
You know, the part where I prove to just how much this is true.
I mean, I guess, I could write about it.
But really, why do that when I could just show you...


Yes, that's right my friends - the husband, his husband {aka Justin, our best friend} and some friends all went noodling this past weekend.

Wait, what is that? You didn't know what noodling was? You thought it was making spaghetti? Oh, silly you.

According to wikipedia - 'Noodling is fishing for catfish using only bare hands'...'Flathead catfish live in holes or under brush in rivers and lakes and thus are easier to capture due to the static nature of their dwelling. To begin, a noodler goes underwater to depths ranging from only a few feet to up to twenty feet and places his hand inside a discovered catfish hole. If all goes as planned, the catfish will swim forward and latch onto the fisherman's hand, usually as a defensive maneuver, in order to try to escape the hole.'


Yeah, put your hand in that.
Yes, you read that right - they go UNDERWATER to catch a fish by letting it BITE their hand. These fish can be huge, upwards of 50lbs. Seriously. It's ridiculous.
These two guys (husband on the left - what what!) are 6'5"ish.
Those fish come up to their waists.
They've only gone a few times, but they are hooked.{Pun totally intended.} They caught 8 this time. But really only 2 of them were, as Alfred said, worth it.
Bigger than our 19 month old.
This is the reason why I had to buy stock in Aloe Vera. Because we are rednecks. And we love it.

Anyone else out there have any redneck tendencies?
If you don't, come on out yonder to the ol' house and we'll fix ya up right on good there, ya hear.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Until this day, I've only heard of such things.

Now, I can proudly say I have a friend who's into noodlin'

Yay!

Abbey said...

I also didn't know what noodling was. And I gotta say I'm impressed. I was not expecting them to just suddenly pull a ginormo fish out of the water after it looked like they were just laying around.