Saturday, July 7, 2012

15 Day Challenge 2012: Day 7

[7] Recommend a book for us to read. Why do you think it's important?

Okay, I'm kind of a book whore. I go from this book, to that book, back to the first book and then I bask in my whore-y-ness by washing it all down with a big ol' glass of wine.
One of my recent conquests.
I've always loved to read. I can actually remember in 1st grade when it finally clicked for me that letters made words. I was in my Granny's house and I remember being frustrated like 2 seconds before and then all of a sudden - like a light switch - it was on.  No turning back.

I go through stages, where I go through 2-3 books a week for a couple months and then I just stop. I get occupied by other things, or get major headaches because I get so excited reading that the book ends up 2 inches from my face so I have to force myself to stop for a bit. Whatever the reason is, it's where I'm most comfortable. The husband is not a reader and loves to either make fun of me for it [every time Harry Potter is in my hands - which is a lot, I love re-reading - he likes to prance around and say he's a wizard] or criticize my [lack of] cleaning the house skills while I'm occupied with a new adventure. I love my young adult, slutty romance novels and the occasional biography.

Oh hell, I got a little carried away. Anyways, on to the book I chose.

You know how they say you can't judge a book by the cover? Yeah, I kind of do. And the only reason I picked this book up was because it was textured like sprinkles on the cover. Lame, but true. But you know what, it doesn't matter - because it is an amazing story.

It's a memoir based on Cupcake Brown's life. She grew up in a rough neighborhood, was a lost foster child in the system, became pregnant - lost the baby because of other foster kids [I won't go into a lot of detail, because frankly it makes me cry and I also don't want to ruin it for you], became a prostitute, turned to drugs, but managed to turn it all around in the end. It's really an amazing story. And detailed. And just shows you that it doesn't matter what people may think of you - all that really matters at the end of the day is what you think of you. And how you can overcome your demons and be incredibly successful.

I seriously encourage every one of you to read this story. It's just awesome. If you're interested in it, I love it so much, I will actually let you borrow it. Seriously. Just tell me. I'll ship it wherever.

Which, now that I'm thinking of it, how cool would that be to have a challenge where we link up with other bloggers and share books we own? Sar, are you hearing this? I just made myself a genius!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

That sounds like a book I would like to read. I love stories about people overcoming things. I might have to check it out but next up on my "to read" list is 50 Shades. . . quality stuff I know!

Katie said...

I'm definitely adding this to my Goodreads list. It sounds right up my alley, memoirs are my favorite!