Friday, July 27, 2012

Training plan?

Somehow my brain this past month had thought - hey, I'll stop doing Insanity while I'm training for the dreadful 5k, start it back up for the last month of the program [it's 60 days], and still have plenty of time to train for a 10k I signed up for in September. I think I may have even mentioned it in a previous post.

Uh, wrong.

I only have 6 weeks until I have to pull 6.2 miles out of my butt shoes. I've tried combining Insanity [which is 6 days a week] and running [3-4 days a week] but I failed miserably.

You mean there's not 10 days in a week? Whhhhaaat??

And while I am loving the I'm a better me feeling of doing something for myself, I absolutely refuse to be less of a mom & a wife for it. Sure, for a bit is fine, [we all need a break every now and then, right?]  but every day I am not okay with.

I was so exhausted & tired, I couldn't wait for Lillie to go to bed [I work full-time so it's not like I get to see her all the time anyhow] and I crossed my fingers on more than one occasion that Alfred would have to work late and would be able to grab dinner on the road.

So, doing Insanity & running is out of the question for me. And since I've never run farther than 4.5 miles, I know I need to train for this. I want to train for this. Because a good foundation will really help push me to do my 13.1 miles come January - mentally & physically. And who knows, maybe I'll go damage myself enough into thinking I can actually do a full marathon.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves now, Tamara.

Based on what I've found [for free!] online this is what I've put together.

I think it looks reasonable, right? I customized it to me [ahem*green box*ahem] and this is actually the first type of training schedule I've ever done. For all of my prior 5ks, I've just kind of gone along the If I run, I'll make it. But after that damn 5k Saturday I know I'm going to have to put a lot more into running more miles.

Ideas are welcome, seriously, I'm one of those people that do better with more information than with less. When I was pregnant I'm pretty sure I scoured every corner of the Internet learning about birthing babies. [It was not pretty.] But I felt so prepared I wasn't even worried about it when it came down to pushing. And bam, had the kid in 30 minutes.

Also, cross training? I know I need to do it. I've gone to some pilates/yoga classes before, I've walked, I've ellipticalled, I've done some weight training - but honestly, that's the part that confuses me more than anything. I just don't know what to do.

Most of my workouts are scheduled during the work week because the lunch hour is my time. When I get home the last thing I want to do is change clothes and work out. Especially if the kid is pooping on people's floors and the husband is wanting some dinner. And it's really convenient seeing as I only work about 50 feet from a gym, so uh, no excuse. I mean, I may smell and look a hot mess afterwards, but damn, you know you be checking out this ass!

The plan starts on Monday. I've printed off a copy for my office and my fridge at home.

But as for this weekend, I'll just give into amazing baby shower food tomorrow for the Emilie and sun time in the pool on Sunday with some awesome friends. [And I wonder why I suck at running! ha!]

I hope you all have an amazing weekend!

2 comments:

Kate said...

I've been wanting to do a 10K (once I get back to running. Ugh.) You need to let me know what training schedule works for you! I've run 7 miles before, but it's been a while since I hit that point. Ugh.

Adrienne said...

Sounds like you've got great balance going on! Now let's see about making those days longer...

We gave up P90x for half marathon training. It was well worth it.

Swimming and Biking make for great cross training. My cross training typically was watching TV on the couch. Probably you shouldn't do that.

You can do this!